Sunday, March 3, 2013

This time, I mean it.

It's hard to believe that this is my first official post in English. I'm sitting in the office at work watching the clock tick. 10 PM. That's all I need. We're showing The Lion King tonight. I seriously could not be more excited. I didn't have a traditional childhood where I watched every Disney movie that ever existed. In contrast, my mom & I usually camped out on the couch to watch the latest episodes of Days of Our Lives and Trauma: Life in the ER. No, I was not totally deprived of the childhood everyone needs. I did see The Lion King and that's all that really matters.


Maybe I read into things way too deeply, but The Lion King seriously is a beautiful representation of the world. We, as humans, behave all too much like our friends of the animal kingdom. Although our societies and personal situations differ so much, the ways in which we interact are very related. In the film, Simba and Nala are inseparable best friends. This friendship turns to a relationship, as many often do. Simba's father, Mufasa, is the king of the land and the representation of all that is good in the world for Simba. The peace of the Pride Lands is wrecked by Simba's uncle, Scar, who is much too prideful and devious. Let's face it, we all know a Scar. The plot is simple but all too underrated. As Pumbaa and Timon sing, 

"HAKUNA MATATA -- It means no worries, for the rest of your days. It's a problem-free philosophy."
I can't help but reflect on how meaningful that phrase is. Although it's quite unrealistic to neglect all your cares, it's truly idyllic to indulge in this idea of leisure and casual living, where things just into place. Quite profound for animation, no? Needless to say, we can all recognize the iconic Serengeti sunrise at the beginning of the film, and I have no doubt that one time or another we've all tried to sing the opening line, "Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba" which actually translates to [Here comes a lion, Father]. I promise it's really not nonsense, even though I always make it up as I go. Anyways, the song, as the basis for the entire movie, is representative of everyone on Earth and how we impact one another. This film, without question, is Disney's finest creation.
"It's the Circle of Life and it moves us all.
Through despair and hope, through faith and love.
Till we find our place, pn the path unwinding.
In the Circle, The Circle of Life."

No comments:

Post a Comment